Where to Take Dad for Father’s Day
What better way to celebrate the most important guy in your life than a good old-fashioned road trip? Get your dad-friendly playlists ready and stock up on his favorite snacks, these 5 road trip destinations are sure to make this the best Father’s Day ever.
- Montauk, NY If you and dad are itching to get out of the city, Montauk, NY is the place for you. Home to the historic Montauk Point Lighthouse and state park, there is no shortage of fun and history in this tiny town. There are plenty of options for fishing and other water activities, like parasailing and whale watching. After a day of outdoor adventures with Dad, treat him to a cold one at the Montauk Brewing Company.
- Boston, MA If your pop’s favorite pastime is a night at the ballpark, check Fenway Park off his baseball bucket list. Rent bikes and cruise along the waterfront to see the Boston Tea Party Ships and Museum, as well as the aquarium. For the foodie, don’t leave without sampling some authentic New England seafood chowder and, of course, lobster rolls.
- Crested Butte, CO A beautiful city nestled in the Rocky Mountains, Crested Butte is more than just ski resorts and slopes. There are also several local hiking and biking trails to choose from whether you’re looking for a day trip or overnight backpacking. Once you’ve worked up an appetite, check out the local restaurants on Elk Ave. or wind down at the Elevation Spa (because dads need pampered, too!)
- Coronado, CA Sunshine, palm trees, and beaches - all of the makings of a relaxing road trip. Besides the sand and sea, Coronado is a food lover’s paradise. This small island is full of big flavors and eclectic cuisine. Consider taking a food tour to hit some of the best eateries and local tastings. If you’re a golf lover, you can also book a tee time at one of the three golf courses.
- Lexington, KY The horse capital of the world has a lot to offer, especially in the summer months. Take Dad to Keeneland Racecourse and put money on your favorite horse. The Kentucky Bourbon trail is also a must-do for all bourbon lovers. The trail has 4 Lexington area stops at some of the most iconic distilleries in America. Most have daily tours with tastings, and you can get a keepsake passport to track your stops along the way, just ask for it at your first destination.
- Tampa, FL Tampa has a lot more to offer than just beaches. Take dad on the thrill of a lifetime at Busch Gardens. The amusement park features roller coasters and other rides along with animal experiences and live shows, so there’s something for everyone. For evening entertainment, head to Ybor City, a historic downtown neighborhood in Tampa. There are plenty of shopping and dining options, and Ybor city even has their own rendition of the Cuban sandwich.
- Spokane, WA The lush greenery and beautiful scenery of Spokane is a great backdrop for a road trip with dad. Your first stop has to be Spokane Falls, a waterfall and dam on the Spokane River. If you’re brave enough, you can even take a gondola skyride over the falls. If dad is an art and history buff, Spokane is also home to The Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture, which celebrates art and culture from The Americas, Europe and Asia. The museum is accredited by the Smithsonian and has featured rotating exhibits.
Skip the neck tie this year and give Dad the gift of uninterrupted adventure. Whether he enjoys spending time outside, being active, or watching sports, these 5 road trips are sure to put a smile on his face this Father’s Day.